Press Release

Life Science/Healthcare Industry Veteran to Help Increase Collaborations with Industry, Government and Academia for childhood cancer

San Diego, CA / Berkeley, CA / Montreal, Canada - January 13, 2016

The Nicholas Conor Institute (TNCI -, a leading childhood cancer collaborative research foundation and advocate for childhood cancer research funding, today formally announced the appointment of William Hayden to its Industry Advisory Board.

"We are delighted to have Bill on-board and his help on the translational research side in setting up industry, government and academic collaborations, as well on the advocacy side, in regards to increase funding for pediatric cancer to support further development of promising, innovative treatments and much needed therapy decision support tools", said Dr. Beth Anne Baber, CEO and Co-founder of TNCI.

Dr. Baber went on to say, "We have known Bill for a number of years and have often gone to him as a sounding board and benefitted from his industry knowledge, his advocacy experience, and his marketing background. We are thrilled to have him formally on-board."

Bill Hayden began his marketing career at Citizens Health/Medco Containment in Boston, the largest mail-order prescription drug and cost containment firm at that time. He then went on to work for Readers Digest in Direct Marketing in their Recorded Music Division followed by senior management positions with a number of start-up software firms in the drug discovery and informatics arena. He is currently, Senior Director - Global Business Development for IO Informatics ( IOI is a recognized industry leader in solving Big Data and Precision Medicine challenges through its software and services that provide uniquely efficient data integration and transformative knowledge applications. Bill has been involved in a number of not-for-profit organizations, including serving on the Board of the Lucky Harvest Project, which offers therapeutic horseback riding lessons for children with autism, Down's Syndrome and physical disabilities.

"I am honored to be asked to join TNCI in an advisory capacity. Beth Anne Baber is both knowledgeable of the scientific research required due to her background from working at the Salk Institute and is passionate about advocating for the kids afflicted with cancer and their families as she herself is the mother of a childhood cancer survivor. I have learned so much about childhood cancer both on the medical and personal impact areas over the years from Beth Anne and TNCI and hope that my own knowledge can make a positive impact," stated Bill Hayden

Bill went on to say, "Childhood Cancer is THE number one killer of children by a disease in the USA. It not only robs the children of their lives at an early age, but also deprives them of their future years. Each family is devastated both emotionally and financially when their child is diagnosed with cancer. I believe there is an immediate need for the government to declare childhood cancer as a national priority. The current push is to have the Congress and Senate fund the National Cancer Institute more in the area of Childhood Cancer Research. Presently only 4% of the NCI's budget goes towards childhood cancer research, while the remaining 96% is spent on adult cancer research. Childhood cancers are different from adult cancers; kids are being treated with therapies developed for adults; I strongly feel that this is NOT RIGHT. We need to change the way research is funded and provide industry market appropriate incentives to usher cures to the clinic for kids"

About The Nicholas Conor Institute

THE NICHOLAS CONOR INSTITUTE (TNCI) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit translational medical research and commercialization organization that concentrates exclusively on cancers common to children, adolescents and young adults. We accelerate research and development of diagnostic tools and treatments, translate them into clinical products, and facilitate their placement into the clinic.


IO is at the forefront of the semantic technology wave. The Company provides software and services for uniquely efficient data integration and transformative knowledge applications in life sciences, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and medical environments. IO is headquartered in Berkeley, California with offices in Canada and Europe. IOI works with life science and healthcare customers in industry, academia and not-for-profit foundations.

For more information visit:

Sylvia Vallee
Marketing Manager
Tel 514-508-2338
The Nicholas Conor Institute
Beth Ann Baber, CEO
Tel 858-945-0552